Asus has officially declared that it decided to launch the Android 8.0 Oreo for the ZenFone 4. This latest Android comes through a FOTA (firmware-over-the-air) update that will be made available in batches for the ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL) model. The entire Asus ZenFone 4 series, that comprises of the ZenFone 4, ZenFone 4 Selfie, ZenFone 4 Selfie Pro, ZenFone 4 Pro, and their numerous variants that presently does run Android Nougat and has also promised to receive an update to the Android Oreo sometime in the second half of 2018.
As per announcement Asus ZenTalk forums on Monday, the Android 8.0 Oreo update would also take around a week to reach all the ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL) units worldwide. The update availability will also be brought into focus by a push notification. However, the users can manually check its arrival by going to the Settings > About > System Update. The update does also bring the software version V15.0405.1711.76 and does also include an upgraded launcher that supports swipe up gesture to open all the required apps. Also, it does bring changes to app icons and comes with a more user-friendly setting UI design.
Along with the existing custom tweaks, the Android Oreo update for the ZenFone 4 does include the entire core Android Oreo features. Users can also experience Background limits, Autofill, Smart text selection, and Picture-in-Picture mode. Similarly, the new updates also bring Android Instant App support and also fully redesigned emoji set, adaptive icons, and also easier installation for the unknown apps.
Features and specifications of Asus ZenFone 4:
- Launched sometime back in August last year along with the ZenFone 4 Pro, the ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL) comes in about two processor as well as RAM variants.
- The dual-SIM smartphone does also feature a 5.5-inch full-HD (1080×1920 pixels) IPS display and Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection.
- While one given variant of the ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL) has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 SoC and 4GB of RAM, its other variant, on the other hand, comes with a Snapdragon 630 SoC and 6GB RAM.
- Both have 64GB onboard storage that is expandable via microSD card (up to 2TB) in a hybrid dual-SIM configuration.
- The Asus ZenFone 4 has a dual camera setup on the rear with a primary 12-megapixel Sony IMX362 ‘dual pixel’ image sensor that’s 1/2.55-inch in size and features 1.4-micron pixels and a secondary 8-megapixel sensor with a 120-degree wide-angle lens.
- An 8-megapixel f/2.0 camera sensor is available on the front with features such as HDR and panorama.
- It packs a 3300mAh battery and comes with connectivity options such as 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth v5.0, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, NFC, USB Type-C, FM radio, and 3.5mm audio jack.
- ASUS has just announced that Oreo is now rolling out to the ZenFone 4 via its ZenTalk forum.
- Released just a couple of months ago alongside its siblings, the ZenFone 4 Pro and ZenFone 4 Max, the ZenFone 4 (ZE554KL) is now receiving 8.0 over the air, though it may take a few days to reach your device.
- Features touted include a swipe up for your app drawer, a “more friendly setting UI design,” background limits, Autofill, smart text selection, picture-in-picture, notification dots, Instant Apps, new emoji, adaptive icons, and so on
- The update carries version number 15.0405.1711.76, and it started rolling out today over the air. It may take up to about a week for the update to hit your ZenFone 4, although, one can always manually check for it in settings.