Xiaomi has finally come out with the Android 8.0 Oreo to the Xiaomi Mi A1. The smartphone was actually brought into focus under the Google’s Android One programme with the help of Android 7.1.2 Nougat back in September and was also promised to receive an update to the Android Oreo by the end of 2017. The new Android version started rolling out as a “progressive over-the-air (OTA)” update on December 31, fulfilling that promise.
As per the official post on Xiaomi’s MIUI Forums, users do need to first install the software version 7.12.19 (Android Nougat) on their Mi A1 to receive the OTA update to Android Oreo (version 7.12.29). The update package does come in 1107.4MB size and also includes the December Android security patch alongside other new features.
Mi A1 Android Oreo Features:
The Android 8.0 Oreo update for the Xiaomi Mi A1 does bring features such as Picture-in-Picture mode, new Notification dots, Background limits, Auto-fill, and Smart text selection. Additionally, Xiaomi has also added improvements such as adaptive app icons and a faster boot experience. One can also check the availability of the Android 8.0 Oreo update for one’s Mi A1 by switching onto to Settings > Software updates.
In fact, the Xiaomi Mi A1 is the first smartphone in the Mi family that has received the Android Oreo update. The Beijing-based company had last month also announced that it would actually be on the lookout for beta testers in order to get a new update from a small group of users.
Features and Specifications of Mi A1:
- With the Android Oreo update, the Xiaomi Mi A1 has become an even attractive option under Rs. 15,000 price bracket.
- The Mi A1 features a 5.5-inch full-HD (1080×1920 pixels) display with Corning Gorilla Glass protection.
- It is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 processor, coupled with 4GB of RAM.
- The smartphone also sports a dual camera setup on the back with two 12-megapixel image sensors – one in 1.25-micron pixel size and with a wide-angle, f/2.2 aperture lens and the other one in 1-micron pixel size and with a f/2.6 aperture telephoto lens.
- The camera sensor also does offer a 2x optical zoom and also features as a proprietary Portrait Mode.
- A 5-megapixel camera sensor is available on the front with a real-time beautification mode.
- The Xiaomi Mi A1 has 64GB onboard storage that can be via microSD card (up to 128GB) that comes in a hybrid dual-SIM configuration.
- Further, the smartphone has 4G VoLTE, dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11ac, GPS/ A-GPS, USB Type-C, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. It packs a 3080mAh battery and has audio enhancements including a 10V smart power amplifier, DHS Audio Calibration Algorithm.
- The handset has support for high impendence headphones.
- It is in four color options, including Black, Gold, Rose Gold, and Red.
Xiaomi had originally launched the Mi A1 for Rs. 14,999 in India, but last month it received a price cut and is now available at Rs. 13,999.