What’s New and Different About Apple’s New Swift Programming Language?
Apple surprised the audience at its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco on Monday with a new programming language specially designed for iOS and OS X software called Swift programming language.
Here is one thing we have to remember there is already a programming language called Swift that was developed by the National Science Foundation, for use in parallel computing applications. This isn’t that swift.
What is swift?
It is a Totally new syntax -in the words of Apple senior VP Craig Federighi, simply it aims to be “Objective-C without the baggage of C.”
- It’s also like scripting languages, but unlike C, the Swift programming language lets you get directly to the point. Example: The single line println (“Hello, Nagendra”) is a complete program in Swift.
- And also that you didn’t even have to end the statement with a semicolon, as you do in C. That’s the specialty of Swift
- Swift is object-oriented programming language, but it also supports some functional programming styles.
- It also adopts some modern language features, such as optional typing, generics, type inference, namespaces, etc.
- Swift has also been designed to make it very easier for developers to write secure programming code. Apple senior VP Craig Federighi said the language’s syntax “defines away large classes of common programming errors; they’re just not possible.”
- Swift is designed to be fully interoperable with Objective-C. Objective-C APIs can be called from within Swift code and vice versa
- Swift programming language supports Apple’s key development frameworks, including Cocoa and Cocoa Touch.
- Swift adopts secure programming patterns and adds extraordinary features to make programming easier, more flexible, and more fun.
Features of Swift Programming Language:
Safe and secure:
Swift pairs increased type safety with type inference and also it restricts direct access to pointers, and it automatically manages memory—making it easy to create secure, stable software.
Swift uses powerful pattern matching to write very simple and secure, expressive code.
Swift Use playgrounds to experiment with new technologies, analyze problems, and prototype user interfaces
The Swift compiler applies advanced code analysis to tune your programming code for better performance, letting you focus on writing great apps instead of on implementing complex optimizations.
Apple has released an e-book, The Swift Programming Language; you can download it by below link
The above are the details about What’s New and Different About Apple’s New Swift Programming Language?